Jean Stern, Executive Director of The Irvine Museum. Listen to the insights of Jean Stern as he wears the many hats of Art Historian, Museum Director, Author, Teacher & Lecturer. Jean and Antrese discuss the world of contemporary art, his take on living artists and why artists need gallery representation and art dealers.
“Don’t be afraid to love a representational painting”
“Believe in quality, beauty, craftsmanship & passion”
- How Jean’s family business shaped his career
- Why quality always matters
- Where Jean discovered California artist (then unknown)
- Differences between early 20th century artists and current artists
- Peek into whose work hangs in Jean’s home
- The importance of friendships with artists
- Why artists need 2nd opinions (regarding selling)
- Mistakes artists make in marketing themselves
- What’s the “Knucklehead Award”?
- What is an artist’s job?
- Do artists’ need art dealers and galleries?
- How to find the right representation
Romance of the Bells, The California Missions in Art
All Things Bright & Beautiful, California Impressionist Paintings from the Irvine Museum
Enchanted Isle, A History of Plein Air Paintings in Santa Catalina Island
California, The Golden Land of Promise
Alson S. Clark
Elsie Palmer Payne